For in the case of those who have once been enlightened
And have tasted of the heavenly gift
And have been made partakers of The Holy SPIRIT
And have tasted the good WORD of GOD and the powers of the age to come
And then have fallen away
It is impossible to renew them again to repentance
Since they again crucify to themselves The SON of GOD and put Him to open shame
There are many religious organizations (including those who call themselves Christian) teaching the following heresies or false doctrines:
• JESUS CHRIST is not the only way to salvation
• GOD will not destroy the earth
• Hell does not exist or is not a place of eternal suffering
• Once saved always saved
Why even mention any of these controversial topics? For at least four reasons. First, our teachings are not our own (Luk 10:16, Jhn 7:16-17, 2 Tim 3:16-17), we teach messages from the BIBLE when HE commands us to teach them (Eze 3:16-21, Act 20:26-27, 2 Tim 4:1-5). Second, the four aforementioned heresies or false doctrines are among the reasons many are turning from the faith. Through them, the consequences of sin, and knowledge of the only way to salvation has been removed. Third, this BIBLE study is meant for those who trust in and follow JESUS CHRIST The Nazarene (Mrk 16:5-7, Act 22:8), it is not meant for the wicked nor those unwilling to hear (Mat 7:6, 2 Ths 2:10-12, 2 Tim 4:3-4, 1 Jhn 4:5-6). Fourth, we are never called to shrink back from teaching truth (Act 4:1-22, Act 5:25-33, 1 Cor 9:16↔ Eze 33:1-9, 2 Tim 4:5).
Through Scripture we will provide the truth these heresies or false doctrines oppose:
• JESUS CHRIST is the only way to salvation! Only through JESUS CHRIST can we be saved (Jhn 10:10, Jhn 14:6, Act 4:10-12). HE is the only way to salvation in this life, and only through HIM can we receive eternal life at our resurrection (Jhn 6:40, Jhn 5:29). HE is the judge (2 Cor 5:10, Jhn 5:22, Act 17:31, Rom 2:16, 2 Tim 4:1) that will either reward us and allow us to enter into eternal life or be turned away to a second, eternal death (Mat 7:21-23, Mat 25:31-46, Luk 13:22-28, Rev 20:11-15, Rev 21:8).
• GOD will destroy both the heavens and the earth. GOD will indeed destroy both present heavens and earth with fire (2 Pet 3:7, 2 Pet 3:10-12) and create new ones (Isa 65:17, Isa 66:22, 2 Pet 3:13, Rev 21:1).
• Hell does exist, and is a place of eternal suffering. Hell is spoken of throughout The BIBLE, many times by our Beloved LORD JESUS CHRIST. Hell is indeed a place of eternal suffering, and is known by several names:
o eternal destruction (2 Ths 1:8-9)
o eternal fire (Mat 18:8-9, Mat 25:41-46, Jud 1:7)
o furnace of fire (Mat 13:40-42, Mat 13:49-50)
o lake of fire (Rev 19:19-20, Rev 20:10, Rev 20:11-20, Rev 21:8)
o outer darkness (Mat 8:12, Mat 22:13, Mat 25:30)
o second death (Rev 2:11, Rev 20:6, Rev 20:14-15, Rev 21:8)
o unquenchable fire (Isa 1:28-31, Isa 66:24, Mat 3:12, Mrk 9:43-48, Luk 3:17)
• Enduring until the End. Our beloved LORD JESUS CHRIST tells us in Matthew 24:12-13, that because lawlessness or sin is increased (1 Jhn 3:4), most people’s love will grow cold (Jhn 14:15, Jhn 14:21, Jhn 14:23-24). But the one who endures to the end shall be saved. However “once saved always saved” (also referred to as eternal security) is a teaching contrary to The WORD of GOD (The BIBLE). “Once saved always saved” asserts that once a person is truly “born of God” or “regenerated” by the indwelling of the Holy Spirit, nothing in heaven or earth can cause them to fall away from the faith or go back to their unsaved condition. There are many Scriptures that refute this false teaching, we will look at the following three.
First, the opening Scripture Hebrews 6:4-6 warns us that one who has been enlightened (made to see; given evidence; filled with saving knowledge) concerning the gospel of JESUS CHRIST (Jhn 1:9, Act 26:18, 2 Cor 4:6, Eph 1:18-23, Heb 6:4); tasted (personally experienced) both the goodness and kindness of THE LORD (Psa 34:8, 1 Pet 2:3) as well as HIS WORD (Psa 119:103, Heb 6:4-5); and have been a partaker (to have a share of; participate in, partner with) of The Holy SPRIT of GOD (Isa 55:1, Jhn 4:10-14, Jhn 7:37-38) is one who has truly been reborn. And according to Hebrews 6:6, this one can fall away from the faith.
Second, Hebrews 10:36-39, also warns the righteous that endurance in living by faith and doing GOD’s will brings the promise of eternal life (Heb 10:36, Heb 9:15, Tit 1:2), but shrinking back from that faith and HIS will brings destruction.
Third, 2 Peter 2:20-23, tells us that one who has escaped the defilements of and ungodly life or unsaved condition, by the knowledge of our Beloved LORD and SAVIOR JESUS CHRIST, and has known the way of righteousness; then turns back to that unsaved condition, that condition becomes become worse than the state they were first in before salvation.
Exactly, how does one “fall away from the faith”? The term “fall away from the faith” (1 Tim 4:1) means to:
abandon (Pro 4:1-2)
defect from (Isa 1:2-4)
forsake (2 Ths 2:3)
leave behind (1 Kin 14:8-10)
withdraw from (Jhn 6:60-69)
turn away from (2 Tim 4:3-4)
It should be noted, that every instance of “falling away from the faith” was a willful decision. The apostate was not snatched, seized (taken by force), plucked (grabbed and pulled away) ― Jhn 10:28-29. Just as they made a decision to trust in GOD and accept HIS free gift, they make a decision to stop trusting in HIM and reject HIS gift.
A person who abandons their faith, will always begin by rejecting a portion of The BIBLE that conflicts with their life choice(s). They will begin to reject more and more of The BIBLE until they reject our Beloved LORD JESUS CHRIST as the only way to salvation. Many apostates when turning away, claim to be truth seekers; they are not, they have rejected Truth to seek beliefs that more align with their wicked lifestyles (Rom 1:21-32, 2 Ths 2:10-12).
Can’t you have a relationship with GOD without believing in JESUS CHRIST? No, only through The SON of GOD (JESUS CHRIST the Nazarene) can you have a relationship with GOD (Jhn 14:6, Psa 2:7-12, Jhn 16:2-3, 1 Jhn 4:1-3, 1 Jhn 4:15, 1 Jhn 5:1-2). JESUS CHRIST is the very foundation of the Christian faith (Isa 28:16, 1 Pet 2:4-8, Act 4:10-12, 1 Cor 3:10-11), and every single book of The BIBLE points to HIM and HIS redemptive work (Luk 24:44-45).
Is that the reason it is impossible for the apostate to be renewed again to repentance? Yes, only JESUS CHRIST could pay the debt for our sins (Rom 6:23, Psa 49:7-9), and when an apostate rejects JESUS CHRIST, willfully returning to a sinful life; they reject the only way to salvation and repentance (Heb 10:26-31).
Does that mean an apostate can never be saved? Only if they continue to reject our Beloved LORD JESUS CHRIST, they cannot be saved. But if before they experience physical death or the return of our Beloved LORD JESUS CHRIST; they humble themselves (acknowledge they were wrong), pray for forgiveness for their rejection of GOD’s only begotten SON, and turn back to GOD, they can still be saved.
But as for those who turn aside to their crooked ways
The LORD will lead them away with the doers of iniquity
Peace be upon Israel