About the ninth hour JESUS cried out with a loud voice, saying,
“ELI, ELI, LAMA SABACHTHANI?”
That is, “MY GOD, MY GOD, WHY HAVE YOU FORSAKEN ME?”
Every year during this season of remembering our Beloved LORD JESUS CHRIST ultimate sacrifice ― HIMSELF; many well-meaning pastors across the globe will erroneously preach a sermon about GOD’s heart and JESUS question as HE was finishing the purpose for which HE had come.
Every year pastors correctly teach that JESUS CHRIST is The Lamb of GOD WHO appeared in order take away the sins of the world (Jhn 1:29, 1 Jhn 3:5). However, those same pastors use the question JESUS asked in Matthew 27:46, to incorrectly teach that by taking on the sins of the world at the cross, HE experienced the wrath and alienation from GOD.
As a young believer in JESUS CHRIST, every single time I heard this erroneous message preached I became very sad and uncomfortable at the idea that GOD would forsake HIS own SON at the time HE needed HIM most. I have undergone countless, and very painful experiences in my life; through each one of them, HE never left me (Deu 31:6, Heb 13:5). HE didn’t abandon me at my greatest hours of need, HIS presence continually rested upon me (1 Pet 4:14). With every experience, my trust in HIM grew, and our relationship deepened. During my times of suffering, the nearness of my GOD was my refuge (Psa 73:28), and in that refuge or place of peace and safety, I came to know HIM and to know HIS heart (Eph 3:17-19). We became friends (Jhn 15:14-15).
As HIS messenger, I know the extreme importance of standing in HIS council (meeting with HIM concerning HIS Message – Jer 23:22) and presenting accurately what HE speaks (2 Tim 2:15).
Like HIS disciples before me, I simply ask HIM what a particular passage of HIS WORD means (Mat 17:10-13).
I asked HIM about Matthew 27:46, and this is what HE told me:
- HE does not lie (Heb 6:18), HE is a GOD of Truth (Psa 31:5), HE is faithful (2 Tim 2:13) and cannot lie (Titus 1:2)
- HE will not forsake the righteous (Psa 37:28, Psa 37:25), HE did not forsake JESUS or hide HIS face from HIM (Psa 22:24)
- As my Beloved JESUS was finishing the work HE had been given (Jhn 17:4, Jhn 19:30) in those final moments before HE laid down HIS LIFE (Jhn 10:17-18), HE did three final things:
- Extended forgiveness and eternal life to a repentant criminal (Luk 23:39-43)
- Explained to HIS disciples what was happening to HIM on the cross, and what the outcome of HIS great sacrifice would be (Psa 22:1-31)
- Made arrangements for HIS mother Mary to be taken care of (Jhn 19:25-27)
Precious in the sight of The LORD
Is the death of HIS godly ones