Lying lips are an abomination to The LORD,
But those who deal faithfully are HIS delight.
Have you ever had someone look you in the face and lie to you? And whether they make a false statement meant to deceive or perform an action meant to give a false impression, they are still lying to you.
Sadly it happens to every one of us, far more often than many know. In the world of business, marketing and advertising you must always read the fine print before signing or buying. Why because the truth lies in the fine print. The entertainment world constantly presents images of famous people that have been altered, and has created a multi-billion dollar business based on lies. Computer generated images create worlds that don’t exist and actors are paid millions in movies, commercials, etc. to deceive you into believing a character exists or a product is the key to success and happiness. It also happens at a personal level; when a boss, a co-worker, a friend, a parent, a sibling, a spouse, a child looks right at you and lies.
The world teaches that everyone does it, and when young children do it, it is cute. Faithful followers of JESUS CHRIST like JESUS HIMSELF do not practice lying (Isa 53:9, 1 Pet 2:22, Psa 101:7, Zep 3:13, 1 Jhn 2:29, 1 Jhn 3:7, Rev 14:5), and lying at any age is not cute.
As we first mentioned in the opening paragraph, lying is a false statement meant to deceive or an action meant to give a false impression. Lying:
- Distorts (misrepresent; misstate; pervert; twist the truth)
- Deceives (to make (a person) believe what is not true; delude; mislead)
- Fabricates (to create, invent, make-up something or someone that isn’t real)
- Perjures (to knowingly and willfully make a false statement)
Our Beloved LORD GOD tells us a liar (someone who tells lies) is:
- A child of Satan (John 8:44)
- An abomination (someone or something that is disgusting, loathsome, or shameful ─ Pro 6:16-19, Pro 12:22)
- Treacherous (someone who is untrustworthy, dishonest, and inclined to betray confidence ─ Pro 14:25)
- A person who professes to know GOD but refuses to keep HIS COMMANDMENTS (1 Jhn 2:4)
- A person who professes to love GOD but hates the children of GOD (1 Jhn 4:20, 1 Jhn 2:9-11)
- One who denies that JESUS is The CHRIST (1 Jhn 2:22)
- A false teacher of GOD’s WORD (2 Pet 2:1-3)
- One who will spend eternity in the lake of fire and brimstone (Rev 21:8) and will never enter the city of our GOD (Rev 21:27)
- Deceitful (Pro 12:17)
Our Beloved LORD GOD commands us:
- Speak the truth to one another (Zec 8:16, Eph 4:25)
- Do not lie to one another (Col 3:9)
- Do not love perjury (Zec 8:17)
Before we close, let us be very clear here ─ a liar is a person who loves to lie and continually lies or practices lying (Rev 22:15)
A false witness will not go unpunished,
And he who tells lies will perish.